Retopologizing done (finally)

I finally got the retopologizing done! Hurray!

This was a HUGE pain! Probably because some of the characteristics of the model are strange. I went through multiple attempts using the ZBrush edit topology tools, both in 3.1 and 3.5, and I can’t for the life of me figure out what cornball algorithms it uses! Solid polygons become open, and the projection sometimes stops doing anything on half the model, even if it was working before and hasn’t been touched. I found some other techniques online for retopologizing, which led me to my own technique which I’m proud to say seems to be near bullet proof.  It helped that building the original rough in Maya resulted in a pretty good initial topology.  I added geometry later (a mouthbag), and my technique breaks down right at the border of the new geo, but it’s easily cleaned up.

It’s nice to move back to creating things like surfacing and coloring. I put more work into the retopologizing than I would have liked.

~ by Chris Blazick on January 12, 2010.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: